Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday Focus: Gratitude


     "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:12-13

     Out of all the verses in the Bible, these are two that I personally identify with the most. Our struggles with lack and opposition through the years has only made us stronger, and more grateful than ever for even little things that most people might take for granted. My "Gratitude List" might not change much from day to day, but I know what it's like to not have things others take for granted, and my gratefulness is deeper for it.

"You say, 'If I had a little more I should be satisfied.' You made a mistake.
 If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it
 were doubled." - Charles Spurgeon


     Being thankful for the hard times and being at rock-bottom is one of the most important things you can ever do. If not for what you learn during these times, you wouldn't really appreciate how amazing the good times are. One thing I've learned by watching others, holding on to grudges and resentment and unforgivness eats a person from the inside out. We should let the dark times help us appreciate the good times, and not spend our good times being resentful for the hard times we've gone through.

"Suddenly there was a great burst of light through the Darkness. The light spread out and where it touched the Darkness the Darkness disappeared. The light spread until the patch of Dark Thing had vanished, and there was only a gentle shining, and through the shining came the stars, clear and pure."
~Madeline L'Engle, 'A Wrinkle in Time'



4 comments:

  1. 'We should let the dark times help us appreciate the good times, and not spend our good times being resentful for the hard times we've gone through.'
    And...when things are going well, we should not meditate on the dark things over and over again, replaying the wrongs done to us, so as not to be able to move forward.

    Good points. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What we focus on, expands"
      You're welcome ;)

      Delete
  2. You would not believe the smile I'm wearing right now. Absolutely love this post, and really all your posts, but this one speaks loud and clear to me. I go to sleep at night, I wake up in the morning, and in between the hours of sleep, I remain fascinated by the comings and goings of the human drama. I personally know that if it weren't for my own deep pain from suffering - from my own choices and from those that others imposed upon me, I know in my heart of hearts that I would not be educated enough about myself to know how to handle this precious thing called everyday life. I would not do any of it over again, but I feel grateful for every single thing that I experienced, especially the parts that were the very worse. Thank you for your thoughts, and for sharing them, I am definitely a fan ;) Thank you for being you and for being a kindred spirit without even meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smiles*... you're very welcome... I, too, am thankful for suffering I've experienced... those are the times that deepen our souls... "... and through the shining came the stars, clear and pure."

      Delete